Objectives, Benefits, Fees & Application
“CONNECTING WITH THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT”
- To help students develop a lifelong affinity for both the joy of photography and the love of nature
- To provide an environmental and artistic learning opportunity for students and teachers
- To help students use the camera to ‘see’ the environment around them with a discerning eye and mind
- To teach students how to use cameras as an effective means of capturing images and concepts
- To help students articulate their feelings about what they see and express those feelings clearly
- To help students understand the science contained within the art of the photograph
Benefits of Participating
- Offer students a combination of photography and environmental education that participating schools have said “works perfectly in various school setting”
- Provide leadership development opportunities for senior students and teachers
- Immerse students in a creative learning challenge
- Build a sense of connectedness to the environment
- Receive recognition of your school’s participation on The Roberta Bondar Foundation’s website
- Give students a feeling of connectedness to something larger by participating in a national program developed by Canadian icon, Dr. Roberta Bondar
- Have submissions judged by panel of experts, prizes for winning students and posting results on The Foundation’s website.
A training registration fee of $130 which includes access to on-line training, access to help throughout the school year from the Challenge Coordinator and a school kit of materials necessary to deliver the Bondar Challenge. This entitles teachers to the following:
- Unlimited use of the program for 2018-19 sessions
- Detailed information about the program and its delivery
- Program materials for teachers delivering the program including certificates signed by Dr. Bondar certifying participation of students in the program
- Password protected access to on-line learning tools, regulations, deadlines and submission instruction
- Coaching and idea exchange throughout the year through the Challenge Coordinator
- Start up school kit of program materials – e.g., various Eco learning tools, printed Learning Guide, participant certificates, buttons
- Access to a camera loan program for schools who have the need
- Acknowledgement on The Roberta Bondar Foundation’s website as a participating school
Note: Ideally, schools accepted to deliver the program will ensure either that students supply their own digital cameras or that a supply of basic point-and-shoot digital cameras is made available by the school itself. If this is not possible, on a needs basis, the Foundation is able to provide access to a small supply of cameras on loan to a school. Cell phone and tablet cameras are discouraged given the level of resolution required for judging.
How to Apply to the School-Based Bondar Challenge
Individual schools must apply on-line through The Roberta Bondar Foundation website. School information including a contact name and email address for the point person overseeing the program must be shared at the time of application. See application under the “Bondar Challenge” tab, School-based Bondar Challenge at www.therbf.org
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis to both semester or year long competition to interested schools. The application form will be updated by August for the upcoming school year.
The Foundation will confirm receipt of your application. Notice of Acceptance to deliver the program will be issued as soon as possible after receipt. To receive the school kit and password to the online teacher’s toolkit, a cheque or money order for $130 must be received within 10 days of the Notice of Acceptance. Upon receipt of the fee, your password for on-line access to the Bondar Challenge toolkit will be issued to identified school leader.
If some unforeseen event forces The Foundation to cancel or postpone the acceptance, you will receive a full refund of your registration fee; however, The Foundation cannot be held responsible for any related costs.
If a camp registers persons with disabilities to participate in the Bondar Challenge, appropriate judging criteria will be applied.
If a school needs special consideration for provision of loaned cameras, this request must be identified on the application for consideration.
Please send an email to The Roberta Bondar Foundation Bondar Challenge