Welcome to the 2017 Summer Camp Bondar Challenge. Thank you for your interest in this program.
Please take a look at the objectives, benefits and fees section below and then you can fill out an application for your camp. If you have further questions do not hesitate to contact our coordinator. We look forward to seeing you this summer!
2017 Summer Camp Bondar Challenge
Objectives, Benefits, Fees & Application
- To help campers develop a lifelong affinity for both the joy of photography and the love of nature
- To provide an environmental and artistic learning opportunity for camp staff member delivering the program
- To help campers use the camera to ‘see’ the environment around them with a discerning eye and mind
- To teach campers how to use cameras as an effective means of capturing images and concepts and communicating them to others
- To help campers articulate their feelings about what they see and critically assess how they could improve their image
- To help campers understand the science contained within the art of the photograph
Benefits of Participating
- Offer campers a combination of photography and environmental education that participating camps have said “works perfectly in a camp setting”
- Provide leadership development opportunities for staff leaders delivering the program
- Immerse campers in a creative learning challenge
- Build a sense of connectedness to the environment
- Receive recognition of your camp’s participation on The Foundation’s website
- Give campers a feeling of connectedness to something larger by participating in an international program developed by Canadian icon, Dr. Roberta Bondar
- Have submissions judged by panel of experts, prizes for winning campers and posting results on The Foundation’s website
A training registration fee of $125 per camp which includes access to on-line training, access to help throughout the summer from The Foundation’s Program Coordinator and a camp kit of materials necessary for one camp staff member to lead the delivery of the Bondar Challenge. For each additional staff leader delivering the program, an additional $25 fee is required. This entitles leader(s) to the following:
- Unlimited use of the program for Summer 2017 sessions
- Detailed information about the program and its delivery
- Program materials for camp staff leaders delivering the program including certificates signed by Dr. Bondar certifying participation of campers in the program
- Password protected access to on-line learning tools, regulations, deadlines and submission instruction
- Coaching and idea exchange throughout the summer through the Coordinator
- Leader’s e-Certificate signed by Dr. Bondar for staff leaders successfully delivering the program and completing the evaluation of the program experience at the end of Summer
- Start up camp kit of program materials – e.g., various Eco learning tools, printed Learning Guide, participant certificates, buttons
- Access to a camera loan program for campers based on need
- Acknowledgement on The Roberta Bondar Foundation’s website as a participating camp
- Opportunity for the camp to be a featured “Camp of the Week” on the Foundation’s website
How to Apply
Individual CCA/ACC member camps (registered through their Provincial or State Camping Association) must apply on-line through The Roberta Bondar Foundation website.
Applications open February 29, 2017 to interested camps and must be received by 20:00 hours EST May 1, 2017 to be considered.
The Foundation will confirm receipt of your application. Notice of Acceptance will be issued shortly after the Registration Fee has been received. To receive a password to access the training toolkit and the camp kit of materials through the mail to get started, a cheque or money order for $125 plus $25 for each additional staff member leading the Challenge must have been received. Upon receipt of the fee, your password for on-line access to the Bondar Challenge toolkit will be issued to identified staff leaders. Please submit fees in your national currency. If some unforeseen event forces The Foundation to cancel or postpone the acceptance, you will receive a full refund of your registration fee; however, the Foundation cannot be held responsible for any related costs.
If a camp registers persons with disabilities to participate in the Bondar Challenge, appropriate judging criteria will be applied.
Please send an email to The Roberta Bondar Foundation Bondar Challenge.
While you’re here —
Check out the photos of the Winners of our 2015 Summer Camp Bondar Challenge